Details Are Part of Our Difference
Embracing the Evidence at Anheuser-Busch – Mid 1980s
529 Best Practices
David Booth on How to Choose an Advisor
The One Minute Audio Clip You Need to Hear
Tag: Robin Powell
A Podcast With International Journalist Robin Powell
Robin Powell is an award-winning journalist dedicating himself to spreading the message of evidence-based investing. He’s made films, is prolific on social media, and regularly interviews influential thought leaders.
Most recently, his blog, The Evidence-Based Investor (where our interview, linked below, appears), was included in the shortlist for the Headlinemoney Awards 2019 Financial Blog of the Year. Robin reports the site is receiving more than 1,000 visitors daily – half from here in the U.S – so it’s no wonder it’s earning well-deserved accolades.
We are fans of Robin’s work as well, and he has admitted to periodically liking some of what we put out in the universe. Enjoy this 30-minute conversation we had with Robin, or see the notes below if you’d like to skip around to topics you’re most interested in.
- Is Saint Louis the Evidence-Based Investing capital of the world? [1:18]
- What’s in Odds On, why did Matt write it, and why is it different from other investment books? [2:50]
- Hill Investment Group: Its history & today. [5:53]
- Hillfolio: Is it a Robo Advisor and what does it cost? [7:18]
- We’re rooting for our competition, because the previously ignored investor wins. [10:54]
- How does Hillfolio invest [12:50], and are sustainable funds an option? [14:40]
- The importance of investor behavior: HIG & Hillfolio going beyond the spreadsheet [15:57]
- Who do we like to work with and who can we best serve? [19:40]
- “Big rocks” and the biggest benefit to considering them first. [20:50]
- Why are we doing Hillfolio? It’s what is in our heart. [23:33]
- Matt and PJ reflect on Jack Bogle’s Legacy. [25:36]
Video Clip: Keeping It Real in Evidence-Based Investing
Is there such a thing as too much knowledge? There can be! It’s called “the curse of knowledge” when we forget that nobody will have a clue what we’re talking about if we leap right into the deep end of investment theory.
That’s why our first responsibility is to recreate those same, “ah-ha!” moments that we’ve already enjoyed. Today’s video with journalist Robin Powell does just that, for those of you who are wondering what this “evidence-based investing stuff” is all about, as well as for anyone who could use a handy, two-minute reminder. Enjoy!
Robin Powell and Matt Hall on Evidence-Based Investing from Hill Investment Group on Vimeo.
An Englishman in St. Louis
If you’re watching closely, you may notice we’ve been on an international roll lately, collaborating with like-minded evidence-based investment professionals in Benelux and appearing as recommended reading in INSEAD’s library.
Along that theme, we were thrilled to welcome Evidence-Based Investor journalist Robin Powell to our St. Louis offices during his recent U.S. tour. A true gentleman no matter where you find him, Robin is based in the U.K. but is fast becoming an international champion of positive change in the investing industry.
In a future post, we look forward to sharing an interview between Robin and Matt Hall, taped from our offices. In the meantime, you can get a taste of Robin’s style by checking out this podcast, “What’s with the name? The Evidence-Based Investor.”